On July 26th, 2015 India lost its Missile Man Shri Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Kalam Azad, a brilliant scientist turned unwilling politician who won many awards and recognition, here we are remembering the journey of a youth icon and an inspiration our beloved Dr. Abdul Kalam Azad.
- Abdul Kalam Azad belongs to a poor family where his father was a boat owner as a result of which he started working as hawker at a very young age to maximize his family income.
- In school days Dr. Kalam was an average student, who was always categorized as the most hardworking student with will and desires to learn more.
- Kalam wanted to be a fighter pilot but unfortunately he couldn’t achieve his dreams as he was at ninth position among qualifiers & only eight positions were available in the IAF.
- He started his job at DRDO [Defense Research & Development Organization] though he was never satisfied with his job still he happened to built a small helicopter for the Indian Army.
- Later Dr. Kalam got engaged in the India’s Missile program and his contribution to the ballistic missile and launch vehicle technology merited him the name “Missile Man of India”
- He became the 11th President of India by winning the 2002 presidential election.
- Post Presidency Dr. Kalam became visiting professor at the Indian Institute of Management, Shillong, Indian Institute of Management Ahmadabad and the Indian Institute of Management Indore and many others.
- Abdul Kalam Azad won many awards and recognition, his 79th birthday was recognized as World Student Day by the United Nations and he was awarded with “Bharat Bhushan” and “Padma Vidhushan” for being the scientific advisor to the Government of India, he was also awarded with highest Civilian Honor “Bharat Ratan” and May 26th was declared as the Science Day by Switzerland to commemorate Dr. Kalam’s visit to the country. India take pride in all the awards and recognition Dr. Kalam was honored with.
Dr. Abdul Kalam Azad wrote many books inspiring every one of us, he has been a major part in making India a successful nation in the field of science and technology, on the fatal day of July 26th, 2015 Dr. Kalam collapsed while delivering a lecture at Indian Institute of Management Shillong, he was rushed to the hospital but after about two hours he was pronounced dead. A great man is no more with us, a true inspiration who started as a hawker and became The President of India has achieved many milestones in his life, we pray for his soul to rest in Peace.